Moving home – Superfast Broadband
Superfast broadband is now available to over 90% of properties in Northumberland and thanks to funding from Northumberland County Council, Central Government, the European Union and BT we have been able to take fibre broadband to some of the county’s most rural areas including Kielder, the central section of Hadrian’s Wall, Holy Island and many other communities.
Unfortunately an increasing frustration among people in Northumberland is that many of the new houses on current developments are being built without access to superfast broadband services. This is a commercial arrangement between the developer and a provider such as BT Openreach or Virgin Media. Public funding cannot be used to upgrade these areas at present and therefore if a development is being built without access to superfast broadband services there is unfortunately little we can do. If your developer is unwilling to pay for the upgrade to superfast broadband you may be able to obtain a quote for a community funded upgrade from BT or register your interest for future coverage with Virgin Media.
This is an issue summarised in this article from the Daily Telegraph published in February 2016.
An investigation in April 2017 by Cable.co.uk into ‘why broadband in Britain’s new-builds is so dreadful: only 1 in 20 homebuilders is confident it’s even available’ can be viewed here.
Slow broadband speeds can wipe as much as 20 per cent off the value of properties and lack of superfast connectivity in an area can be a dealbreaker in house sales, according to this article from the Daily Telegraph published in 2014.
Many developers recognise the importance of superfast broadband and have agreed with Openreach or Virgin Media to install fibre to each property. In some cases where the development was under construction prior to 2012 it has been possible for the iNorthumberland programme to provide a superfast broadband service as part of our fibre roll out programme with BT.
Many people take it for granted that superfast broadband will be available in new developments, this is however not always the case – in one example in Blyth new residents can currently only receive a broadband speed of less than 2 Mbps (compared to a UK average of 28.9 Mbps in 2016 according to Ofcom).
We therefore encourage everyone to check the broadband service available when thinking about moving home. Use our postcode checker or get in touch with us via firstname.lastname@example.org for more details.
Once you’re in the process of moving home take a look at this guide for tips on how to set up your broadband service.
Below is a list of current new developments that we know have a superfast broadband services installed. This information is also available on a map.
– Windsor Park, Park View, Alnwick, Northumberland, NE66 1PT (Charles Church) – provided via the iNorthumberland fibre roll out
– Creighton Place, Embleton, NE66 3FA (Cussins) – provided via the iNorthumberland fibre roll out
– Portland, Rothbury Drive, Ashington, NE63 8TQ (Persimmon) – provided via the iNorthumberland fibre roll out
– Seaton Vale, Faldo Drive, Ashington, NE63 9JL (Persimmon) – provided via the iNorthumberland fibre roll out
– Seaton Vale, Carnoustie Close, Ashington, NE63 9GB (Charles Church) – provided via the iNorthumberland fibre roll out
– Broadoaks,Off Netherton Lane, Bedlington, NE22 6BD (Miller Homes)
– Clearwell Place, Bedlington, NE22 6BN (Persimmon) – provided via the iNorthumberland fibre roll out
– Slaley Dene, Slaley Court, Bedlington, NE22 5QR (Persimmon) – provided via the iNorthumberland fibre roll out
– The Acres, Off Church Lane, Bedlington, NE22 5RS (Miller Homes)
– Malvins Road, Blyth, NE24 5JH (Gleeson)
– Portland Wynd, Blyth, NE24 4TS (Miller Homes)
– South Shore, Elfin Way, Blyth, NE24 3RQ (Persimmon) – provided via the iNorthumberland fibre roll out
– The Potteries, Corbridge, NE45 5EU (Taylor Wimpey) – provided via the iNorthumberland fibre roll out
– Bassington Manor, Bassington Avenue, Cramlington, NE23 8AH (Avant) – provided via the iNorthumberland fibre roll out
– Greenholme Road, Haltwhistle, NE49 9DW (Gleeson) – provided via the iNorthumberland fibre roll out
Fenwick Park, Longframlington, NE65 8DT (Cussins) – provided via the iNorthumberland fibre roll out
– The Kylins, Loansdean Wood, Morpeth, NE61 2FB (Charles Church)
– South Fields, Morpeth, NE61 2BF (Barratt)
– Stannington Park, off Green Lane, Stannington, NE61 6AT (Bellway)
– Wilding Grove, Longhorsley, NE65 8LB (Cussins) – provided via the iNorthumberland fibre roll out
– Oakland Park, Peacock Gap, Morpeth, NE61 3JY (Storey Homes)
– The Meadows, Fairmoor, Morpeth (Persimmon)
– Mill Rise, Ponteland, NE20 9SX (Linden Homes)
Seaton Delaval area:
– Wheatfields, Ambridge Way, Seaton Delaval, NE25 0PY (Miller Homes)
– Wheatridge Park, Seaton Delaval, NE25 0FF (Bellway) – provided via the iNorthumberland fibre roll out
– Morwick Gardens, Morwick Road, Warkworth, NE65 0TG (Cussins)
Please insert your post code to see what we’re doing in your area.